- Blue Church
The Church of Elisabeth, commonly known as the Blue Church, is one of the unique attractions of Bratislava. This Catholic church was built in 1913 in the Art Nouveau style of architecture. However its popularity comes from its striking deep sky blue color. The church can be seen on the eastern flank of the Old Town. It is dedicated to Princess Elisabeth — the daughter of King Andrew II.
- Devin Castle
The ruins of the Devin Castle are located about 10 kilometers from the Old Town. It is on a hilltop right at the border of Austria. Construction of this fortified castle started in the 8th century. Restorations and expansions continued until the 17th century. Presently, the castle is open to the public only between May and October. There is a museum within the castle premises. Look out for the Maiden Tower, the most photographed part of the castle.
- Slovak National Museum
Established in 1961, the Slovak National Museum is a combination of 18 national museums, 8 of which are located in the capital city, Bratislava. The museum has a total collection of 3,894,000 objects, which amounts to nearly 40% of the total museum collections in Slovakia. From ancient everyday tools to fancy facilities used by the nobles in the Middle Ages, the different museums have a variety of collections to interest people from different backgrounds.
- Grassalkovich Palace
The Presidential Palace or the Grassalkovich Palace is located in the Hodzovo Square, to the north of the Old Town. Built in 1760, the palace has a rococo and baroque architectural style. With a French garden on the outside and beautiful rooms, decorated chapel, and a grand staircase on the inside, the palace is one of the most beautiful buildings in the Slovak capital. It is the official residence of the President of Slovakia. The French garden is open to the public from dawn till sundown. With dogs and bicycles not allowed in the garden, it has become a popular kid’s playground.
- Michael’s Gate
Built sometime around 1300, Michael’s Gate is the oldest city gate, left over from the medieval fortifications of Bratislava. It is one of the oldest preserved buildings and stands as one of the gates to the Old Town. Today, standing at 51 meters, the tower is home to the Weapons Museum section of the Bratislava City Museum. The 6th floor has a viewing platform from where one can have excellent panoramic views of the Old Town. The street that passes through the St Michel’s Gate has a ‘zero kilometer plate’ and lists the distances of 29 world capitals from that point.
- Slavin War Memorial
The Slavin War Memorial is a gigantic war memorial visible from many parts of the city. It commemorates Bratislava’s liberation by the Russian Red Army in April 1945. It is located on a hilltop north of the Bratislava Castle. Standing nearly 50 meters high, the war memorial is also the cemetery to 6845 Russian soldiers who died in the final weeks of World War II while fighting to free Bratislava and its neighboring regions. It was declared a National Cultural Monument a year after its inauguration in 1960. The panoramic views of the city from the memorial are spectacular making the memorial a must-visit place, especially on a clear sunny day.
- St. Martin’s Cathedral
One of the most common photographs of Bratislava is from the Bratislava Castle hilltop overlooking the Old Town skyline. The most dominating tower (spire) of the skyline is that of the St. Martin’s Cathedral, a 15th century Catholic cathedral. It is the largest and one of the oldest churches in the city. It is of great historical importance. The church was a part of the medieval fortifications and also the coronation church to the Kingdom of Hungary. Parts of the St. Martin’s Cathedral were restructured to build the Most SNP which has its northern end in front of the cathedral.
- Primate’s Palace
Located in the Old Town is the impressive late 18th century neo-classical building, the Primate’s Palace. Originally built for the Archbishop, it is today the seat of the Bratislava Mayor. The palace has a north facing façade built in a classical style of architecture. The roof has a number of allegorical statues depicting the different human qualities and achievements. One of the most popular halls in the palace is the Hall of Mirrors. It is open for public viewing, making the palace worth a visit when in Bratislava.
- Novy Most – New Bridge
The Novy Most or New Bridge is on the River Danube connecting the southern part of the Old Town to Petrzalka on the south bank of Bratislava. It is officially called The Most Slovenského národného povstania, which translates to Bridge of the Slovak National Uprising or Most SNP. Completed in 1972, the bridge ranks 32nd in the World Federation of Great Towers; making it the shortest tower as well as the only bridge in the rankings. The Most SNP is the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world which has a single pylon and one cable-stayed plane. It is often called the UFO Bridge because of its uniquely shaped tower.
- Main Square & Old Town Hall
The Main Square is located right in the middle of the Old Town of Bratislava. It is certainly one of the most popular tourist spots in the city and home to the popular Bratislava Christmas Market. It is dominated by the Old Town Hall and the Roland Fountain located on the southwestern corner of the square. Beautiful colored medieval buildings surround the square. Home to many foreign embassies, these beautiful buildings create a very cheerful ambiance to the Old Town center. Cultural programs and concerts are held in the Main Square during the summer months.
- Old Town Street Attractions
A walk though the Old Town of Bratislava is not just a visual treat with the beautiful colored medieval buildings and cobbled streets; it is made interesting and exciting through many quirky statues that have become a major attraction with the visitors. Rubberneck, or Cumil, is the bronze statue of a man peeking out of a sewer hole. It is one of the most photographed attractions in the Slovak capital. There is a sign warning oncoming drivers about the statue as it had lost its head twice to reckless drivers. Rubberneck can be seen at the corner of Rybarska brana, at the junction of Sedlarska and Panska streets.
- Bratislava Castle
Originally built in the 9th century, the Bratislava Castle, perched on a hill on the bank of the River Danube, is the most dominating structure on the city skyline. Due to its location on the Little Carpathians rocky hilltop, you can get excellent panoramic views of the city. You can also view parts of Austria and Hungary from the castle premises. It was declared a National Cultural Monument in 1961 (before the birth of the present day independent country of Slovakia). Although restoration work is ongoing, the castle is open to the public for free and visitors have access to many parts of the castle and the courtyard.
Originally posted 2017-05-22 07:29:47.